HR Operations Job Description Examples
HR operations is a subfield within the human resources field that focuses on departmental workflows, procedure details, and general HR functions. HR operations professionals like HR operations managers, HR operations administrators, and HR operations specialists work on improving employee engagement within the department. Additionally, they try to base their strategies for strengthening departmental productivity on analyses of key HR metrics.
The HR operations team encourages a positive work environment and ensures healthy labor relations. Therefore, HR professionals in the team need to have administrative experience and good knowledge of human resources management. In addition, they have to study company policies and find optimal ways of executing HR functions like exit interviews, performance management, and designing compensation packages.
This article shows you some examples of the job requirements associated with roles within the HR operations team. Each example lists down all key responsibilities of the HR operations professional and the qualifications expected from an individual applying for the position.
HR Operations Job Description Example 1 - Government
We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic, and efficient HR operations professional to join our human resources operations team and help us improve our HR workflows further. As an HR operations professional, they would report directly to the HR operations manager and help manage all everyday HR functions while guiding the HR operations team and spearheading important HR and compliance initiatives.
The HR Operations Professional is expected to:
- Execute updated organizational strategies and policies
- Establish clear objectives for the human resources department and effectively monitor their progress based on smart metrics
- Supervise internal HR workflows and all work related to databases
- Lead and educate managers and junior staff about important HR procedures and SOPs
- Suggest new digital tools for the human resources department to address departmental needs, such as performance review tools
- Resolve any employees' queries, such as those related to issues like salary and labor regulations
- Overlook and lead the HR department's recruiting strategy and oversee all important details of the hiring procedures
- Train employees by establishing smart training programs and carrying out important orientation activities
- Schedule management seminars and sessions with employees
- Help resolve major employee grievances and counsel employees and supervisors on employee relations issues
- Plan effective employee benefits programs and educates employees on all incentives and packages
- Prior professional experience with the HR Operations sub-field
- Significant experience with using and handling Human Resources Information Systems along with payroll and data management tools
- Extensive prior experience in designing attractive compensation and benefits packages
- Solid knowledge about compensation and labor regulations along with regulatory laws and best HR practices
- Dependable leadership abilities
- BSc in Human Resources Management
HR Operations Job Description Example 2 - Higher Education
We are looking for an HR Operations professional with a deep passion for people-centric approaches to human resources and extensive knowledge of critical HR processes. In addition, they should possess the knowledge and experience necessary for handling all major HR operations and administrative tasks while supporting a much bigger People Ops team.
The HR Operations Professional is expected to:
- Handle a high volume of diverse HR activities using communicated SOPs and university guidelines, such as hiring, HR professional replacements, reclassification of positions, and other related activities.
- Implement set HR policies when responding to any client queries and processing HR functions.
- Learn and adapt to new procedures and policies that concern human resources activities, such as hiring inquiries and any employee issues.
- Direct employees on how to submit applications for different HR functions to the University HR Operations team and how to handle different use cases of the HR system either verbally and/or through templates.
- Send unique and/or complex HR functions (e.g., retroactive increases, firings, and suspensions) to the relevant team lead or senior HR specialists for effective resolution.
- Update employee records and make necessary changes to any relevant employee data based on audits supervised by school and department heads
- Supervise own work and others' performance to ensure optimal efficiency and compliance with set procedures.
- Resolve employee queries and correct any data involved in important university-wide operational processing functions.
- Suggest necessary recommendations to improve the human resources department's procedures and workflows.
- Partake in system release and all enhancement testing sessions.
- Showcase strong ability to lead initiatives and take ownership of tasks.
- Capable of learning and implementing established human resources policies using robust problem-solving skills.
- Ability to remain confidential about crucial matters and handle sensitive and personal data about university or employees with rational judgment.
- Possess strong time-management capabilities and meet deadlines dependably
- Capacity to effectively collaborate and multitask the given tasks
- Able to work effectively on multiple assignments in a team environment
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong and effective interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and data management tools.
- Familiarity with popular HR information systems, such as PeopleSoft, time measurement systems, and Taleo applicant tracking system
HR Operations Job Description Example 3 - News And Research
We are seeking an ambitious HR Operations professional to supervise and handle all primary functions of our human resources department and provide immediate support to our employees across all the departments. The HR professional would serve as the company's human resources operations team's leader. In addition, they would develop important HR policies while coordinating important human resources activities.
It is an excellent chance for HR professionals looking to work and grow in a fast-paced work environment. Ultimately, the HR operations professional must ensure that all HR initiatives are cost-effective, executed intelligently, and help create an overall healthy work environment.
The HR Operations Professional is expected to:
- Extensively collaborate with internal HR teams and improve efficiency while dependably executing critical HR business processes
- Study, understand, and strategize execution of the company's end-to-end HR business processes by continuously monitoring and improving processes based on feedback received from a range of different clients, such as technology and engineering teams
- Back complex HR functions across the HR technology platforms, by helping with inputs, and reviews as audits as necessary
- Hold recurring personal and group sessions with essential clients to go through procedures and perform any enhancements if necessary
- Use solid communication, strategic planning, and solid problem-solving abilities in HR use cases while maintaining exceptional attention to detail throughout
- Continuously improve the existing HR infrastructure and streamline procedures and SOPs within the Human Resources Operations team
- Build an extensive network to learn/expand knowledge of all HR disciplines, as well as any other processes and tools
- Learn from all the different business areas and continuously interact with senior-level colleagues for professional improvement.
- Carry out training of newly hired HR professionals on relevant procedures and all operational processes
- A minimum Bachelor’s in HR, Psychology, or any other related field
- Possess more than five years of professional experience in working with Human Resources Operations or Human Resources strategy
- Well-versed with Microsoft Suite, particularly possessing Excel, PowerPoint skills with advanced knowledge of spreadsheets and formulae
- Have a strong focus on customer point-of-view and superior creative problem-solving abilities
- Possess extensive data analysis skills and should be eager to analyze and organize collected data with particular attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to effectively collaborate with teams from other departments and facilitate regular interactions with upper management
- Possess strong organizational skills and extraordinary written and oral communication skills along with solid presentation skills necessary for forming credible relationships with ease
- Have robust documentation skills and a track record of presenting observations and analyses to upper management in properly formatted reports
- Possess experience influencing and directing others
- Can work independently and in a team while closely following through on both oral and written instructions
- Show a ready-to-work approach with a practical mindset with a keen willingness to adapt to new HR digital tools and processes
- Can multitask effectively, organize projects/initiatives, and implement ideas while meeting established deadlines
HR Operations Job Description Example 4 - Education NGO
The HR operations professional would monitor the human resource department's daily workings and administrative dealings. Additionally, they would be handling regular HR functions and helping the department reach optimal efficiency. They would play a vital role within the HR operations team and develop strategies for improving the organization's overall productivity.
The HR Operations Professional is expected to:
- Collaborate with the HR operations manager and note down relevant feedback received during interdepartmental discussions, monthly operations review meetings and other mediums of client feedback.
- Discuss with the HR operations manager and team about actions and implement relevant solutions that improve customer satisfaction and departmental efficiency.
- Work with other regional HR teams and ensure top-quality and customer-oriented services while maintaining compliance with standard operating procedures.
- Closely monitor the progress of HR operations and deliverables such as tickets, change requests, quality and error logs, and more; guide team members to ensure smooth delivery of deliverables
- Provide team members with extensive support in resolving operation issues while highlighting inefficiencies and proposing sustainable solutions to the HR operations manager
- Gain expertise in HR information systems (myHR) and any related tools to guide and coach other team members within the HR department whenever needed.
- Mentor team members in handling complicated or emergency operational issues or cases while working with relevant parties for resolution and managing the issues' escalation to a senior specialist when necessary.
- Determine recurring patterns of issues occurring within HR operations and propose solutions to the HR operations manager for handling the problems after highlighting them promptly
- Actively work with team members to identify any areas for improvement within the daily operational processes of the HR department; actively participate in improvement initiatives that increase the productivity, efficiency, standardization, and harmonization of HR operations
- Ensure documentation is updated and maintained adequately while team members adhere to procedures that comply with established SOPs and other requirements set by internal audit, external audit, and certifications.
- Support and guide fellow HR operations team members while structuring and organizing departmental workflow for maximum effectiveness and productivity
- When collaborating within or across different departments, promote all team results as a joint achievement.
- Ensure timely and accurate maintenance of all digital HR records
- Possess two to four years of professional working experience in human resources or human resources operations (preferably)
- Possess extensive experience working in large and diverse teams while communicating on varying levels.
- Showcase strong analytical and strategic solving skills and have extensive experience in data analysis, statistics, or technical reporting.
- Show ability to solve challenges and resolve technical issues.
- Preferably have experience and familiarity with working with industry-standard HR systems (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, SuccessFactors). (preferable)
- Preferably have extensive experience in a shared service environment. (preferable)
- Preferably have experience in people management/team leadership (preferable)
The above examples cover all the different responsibilities and qualifications most organizations expect from an HR operations professional. Now that you know what the HR operations job description looks like across different types of organizations, you can train better and achieve the right HR operations opportunity.
If you are an employer, the above examples show you how to advertise an opening within the HR operations team and attract the right HR professionals.
If you are new to Human Resources and are looking to break into any HR Operations position, we recommend taking our HR Certification Courses, where you will learn how to build your skillset in human resources, build your human resources network, craft an excellent HR resume, and create a successful job search strategy that lands you a sought-after HR Operations job.
Josh Fechter is the founder of HR.University. He’s a certified HR professional and has managed global teams across 5 different continents including their benefits and payroll. You can connect with him on LinkedIn here.